Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Even The Kids Like Oven-Roasted Broccoli


I am a great fan of broccoli, and always have been. I am happy to eat it hot or cold, in salads or pasta, and feel that it is a great bonus that it is really good for you as well as being really delicious. I do, however, also understand that the rest of the world does not necessarily feel the same way. And, unfortunately for me, I did not pass on the broccoli-loving genes to the darling daughters. For a long time, I insisted that they ate (at least some of) their steamed broccoli, but it certainly wasn't something they wanted to have.

I have now come up with a solution to the broccoli dilemma - I roast it instead of steaming it. I saw a reference to roasting cauliflower on an old Martha Stewart show, and decided to try it with broccoli. It is fantastic. The roasted, slightly burnt bits become caramelized and crunchy, and the flavour is a lot more appetising than soggy steamed broccoli (and this from someone who likes steamed broccoli). And it is a really easy way to prepare it, especially when you have something else roasting in the oven at the same time.
Roasted Broccoli
Broccoli
Olive Oil
Salt
Sugar
Herbs / Spices to taste
Preheat oven, and an oven tray to 200C. Slice broccoli thinly, so you have long flat pieces of stem with the florets on the stop. Also keep any little bits that fall off. Toss all the broccoli in a large bowl with sufficient olive oil to coat them. Season generously with salt, pepper and any other herbs / spices you would like to add. Toss in a teaspoon of sugar to help the caramelization. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet, and roast for about 10-12 minutes or until they are nicely browned.

1 comment:

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

This sounds great! I've done roasted cauliflower and roasted brussels sprouts (which are amazing if you are a brussel sprout fan) but never tried it with broccoli. Maybe this would convert my kids into broccoli fans as well :) Thanks for sharing!