Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Thin and Crisp Choc-Chip Cookies - My Favourites


Choc-chip cookies is probably the recipe I bake most regularly (in common with the rest of the world I'm sure). I can't remember when it started, but now, every time the kids have a school event, a party, or just need to take a treat to friend's house, I make another batch. It happens often enough that I now keep choc-chips permanently in my pantry. And there is now some discussion in my house about which recipe I should use - see previous post here.

The recipe I started with was from original Silver Palate cookbook, and I have used it so often that the spine of the book has broken, the page has fallen out, and it flaps around the binding, stained and dog-eared. The recipe gives two options - one for giant cookies, and one for small cookies, altering the dough scooped and baking temperature depending on what you are after. My personal preference is for small cookies, and these ones come out thin and crisp-ish. As a general rule, I don't like cookies and muffins that are as big as your head, and I prefer crisp to moist. And eating smaller cookies lets you have a couple, which in turn feels indulgent without actually consuming anywhere near as much wickedness as is in one giant cookie. Do you agree? How do you prefer your cookies?


Chocolate Chip Cookies
from The Silver Palate Cookbook
250g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp bi-carb of soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet choc chips
Preheat oven to 160C for giant cookies or 180C for normal cookies. Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Cream butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix in well. Sift dry ingredients and stir into the butter mixture until completely combined. Add chocolate chips to the batter (it will be very heavy and thick by now).
If you are making giant cookies, scoop out the batter with an ice cream scoop and flatten to about 12 cm. If you are making normal cookies, just use a heaped teaspoon of batter. Bake 15-17 mins for giant cookies. Bake 8-10 mins for ordinary cookies. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 mins then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 25 giant or about 80 normal cookies.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I must say I am a bit of a lover of chocolate chip cookies as well. My kids love making and eating them. Will give this recipe a go.
Thanks xxx