Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cherry Tomato Crumble - Why Didn't I Think Of That?


In light of my public commitment to reduce the amount of food waste in this house, I am having to keep an extra close eye on the vegetable drawer. This is definitely the place in my house where things can get pretty ugly. (Don't judge; I know I am not the only one!). So after I made the Kylie Kwong lively tomato salad, I wound up with some leftover cherry tomatoes and I was determined to use them before they went off. Cherry tomatoes don't lend themselves to quite as many uses as regular tomatoes, although the kids will sometimes take them to school as a snack. But, in the funny way that planets will align sometimes, I spotted a recipe for a cherry tomato crumble when I was writing up the beetroot salad. The perfect solution!


Cherry tomato crumble (or cherry tomato crisp as Martha calls it) struck me as such a blindingly obviously wonderful idea that I wanted to make it quick smart. And it was great. Big thumbs up from all the family, even the family members who generally don't like cooked tomatoes. And even better - the leftovers from this leftover meal were perfect tossed through some pasta the next day.


Cherry Tomato Crisp

2 slices white bread
1/4 cup grated parmesan
2 tbls shredded fresh parsley
1 tbl olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
5 cups cherry tomatoes (or whatever you pull out of the bottom of the crisper)

Preheat oven to 200C. Combine bread, parmesan, parsley, olive oil and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until bread is coarsely chopped - cubes about the size of dice is what you want.

Arrange the cherry tomatoes in a single layer in a baking dish. Sprinkle with the crumbs. Bake until the crust is browned and the tomatoes are tender, about 20 mins.

3 comments:

Prudy said...

Ooh, that sounds like a fabulous way to use up the grape tomatoes in my fridge that are a little past their prime. I always feel horrible when I throw food out and it's the salad greens that always get away from me.

Patty said...

Hi...What a great idea....sounds yummy and somehow I am always left with tomatoes!

Pattyxxx

Marg said...

This sounds easy and tasty! Thanks.