Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fun in Blogland


I am really loving doing this blog for a thousand different reasons: pushing myself to cook more, and to cook more adventurously; learning about taking photos; writing and driving myself to be more creative. Even better is the way that I am suddenly connecting with people in different parts of the world, or even in my own city through a shared love of cooking. In that spirit, I saw that another blogger, Stephanie (aka The Happy Sorceress) at a blog appropriately called "Dispensing Happiness", runs an event called Blogging By Mail. This is basically a global care package swap, where everyone who signs up is assigned someone in the world to send a package to, and also receives a package from someone else. The theme this time was 10 items or less - and it was up to each sender to peruse the blog of the receiver and try and create a parcel that would thrill them. My parcel left for the state of Georgia, USA, a couple of weeks ago, while the parcel destined for me arrived late last week.

I feel very lucky to have been allocated to Christy from Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time who lives in Florida. Christy creates the most amazing aprons, and the centrepiece of my parcel was an apron covered in perfect 1950s housewives whipping things up in the kitchen. It is retro and fun and I will love using it. You can see it on her blog here, just scroll down to the yellow trimmed apron that appears 3/4 the way through this post. The other aprons you will see are also incredible. Christy also included in the parcel:
- 2 gorgeous handmade tea towels
- 4 mini loaf tins (I have never seen anything that small here and can't wait to make some tiny banana bread loaves)
- flavoured skewers to make my next BBQ extra tasty
- four different spice mixes (Garlic and Herb, Italian, Cinnamon and Basil and Tomato - all flavours I love)
- oven bags for a turkey (Christmas is coming!)
- a mesh bag that you put inside the turkey cavity so you can simply pull it out full of stuffing once the bird is cooked (fantastic idea that I have never seen here)

WOW. Christy thank you and I can only hope that you are as spoiled by someone else as I have been by you.

3 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I always seems to miss this event but ho much fun is that:D The flavoured skewers are a real find for sure:D

Mary Ann said...

Looks like so much fun! Your beetroot salad and veggie pot pie turned out beautifully! Great job!

Shaheen said...

Flavoured skewers? I'm intrigued. I love your BBM package!