Friday, November 14, 2008

Barbecue Turkey Legs - Help Me Please


I read an article the other day about food blogs, and how what people want to hear is the messy details of bloggers lives in the kitchen not the air-brushed perfection. And I've had one of those weeks, so here goes:

For a couple of weeks I have been seeing turkey legs in the supermarket. They have been playing on my mind: inexpensive ($5 for two enormous legs), appropriate as a nod to Thanksgiving (which isn't celebrated here), I thought that making them would be a good idea. Traditionally at Christmas, there is a bit of a battle at my house over who gets the turkey legs, and my husband is always one of those keen for them, so I figured he would be on board and the kids would follow. But what to do with just turkey legs? My recipe for the Christmas turkey is a 24 hour production involving marinating (twice), wrapping the entire bird in bacon, then long slow baking with a baste of whole cream every half an hour. You won't be surprised to hear that my turkey is very moist and tender. But was I prepared to do anything like that apart from once a year on December 25th? Not a chance.

So I googled some recipes, and the best suggestion I could find was one involving a marinade with some chilli sauce, onion, etc. It all smelt great, and expectations were high. But then the weather was iffy, so I did them in the oven (following the suggested temperature and cooking time). Sadly, this recipe failed me - the legs were tough - and the taste was not anything to write home about (or really write in a blog about). In fact bordering on unpleasant. If anyone has a recipe for turkey legs, I would love to hear it - there must be a knockout recipe for turkey legs somewhere. In the meantime, forgive me if I stick with the smaller fowl.


Savoury Spicy Barbecue Turkey Legs

4 turkey drumsticks, about 1 lb each
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried thyme

In a small saucepan, combine garlic, chili sauce, oil, vinegar, onion, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and thyme. Simmer on low heat, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Place drumsticks in roasting pan. Pour prepared sauce over. Cover and marinate for at least two hours in refrigerator. (If the roasting pan won't fit in your fridge, simply toss turkey with sauce in non-reactive bowl or plate, and pour into roasting pan when ready to start cooking.) Turn pieces occasionally in sauce while marinating.

Grill: Spray rack with nonstick spray (don't do this while rack is over fire). Grill turkey legs approx 7 minutes per side, til browned. Turning and basting often with sauce, continue to grill about 1 hour, or until tender.

Oven: Cover drumsticks loosely in foil. Bake in 325 degree F oven for 1 and 1/2 hours, basting frequently. Uncover, then continue baking approx. 30 minutes, or until barbecued turkey drumsticks are browned and tender.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I've never cooked just turkey legs... I'm not so much impressed with them on our Thanksgiving turkey, so never thought about cooking them by themselves. I'm thinking though that a slow-cooker might be the way to go with them - ?