Sunday, March 29, 2009

Broccoli Soup With Grilled Haloumi

A week of feasting lies ahead with the brief trip home of my US-based brother, and the birthday of my ten year old. Between the two, I can count off at least five meals that I know could well be a little bit indulgent. Quite possibly a lot indulgent. So today's abstemious choice will start the week with restraint even if it does not finish that way. Broccoli is always my first pick as a vegetable when I want a solid dose of nutrition with next to no wickedness.

I found this recipe in an old Donna Hay magazine (Issue 14, Autumn). I subscribed to the magazine from launch, and now have a shelf groaning under the weight of Donna. Until a couple of years ago, it was worth hanging on to all the old copies because an index to each year's recipes was published. This made it easy to do a quick search for whatever I was looking for, and lay my hands on any recipe I needed. Infuriatingly, Donna doesn't publish indexes any more which apart from making me very cranky, makes my new mags a lot less valuable to me than the old ones. After all, no one has the time or inclination to go through 20 magazines to find a recipe that they think they remember. So what to do? Something for me to contemplate as I have a bowl of soup. The haloumi gives a lovely salty kick and a textural contrast to the smooth broccoli flavours.
Since this is Sunday, I will be sending this soup over to Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her weekly Souper Sunday round-up. Go take a look at her offerings - thee is always something that will take your fancy on offer.
Broccoli Soup With Grilled Haloumi
adapted from Donna Hay
2 tsps olive oil
1 small onion
4 cups chicken stock
1 potato peeled and chopped
650g broccoli florets
100g haloumi, cut into slices and grilled in a non stick pan for 1 min
Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and onion and cook for about 5 mins or until the onion is translucent. Add stock, potato and broccoli and simmer until the potato is tender. Pour the mixture into a blender, and puree until it is smooth. Season to taste. Garnish with cubes of haloumi.

4 comments:

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

I love broccoli soup but I'm not sure what haloumi is, CHEESE? Looks good all the same.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I am such a haloumi fan but have not put it in soup, what a great idea. I have that Donna Hay and now I'll go mark this one. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sunday! Round-up is posted.

Deb

Selba said...

I'm not familiar with Haloumi but it must be wonderful because with broccoli soup :)

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Award for you. Come by.