Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chicken Piccata Because Everything Tastes Better Crumbed

Robert Byrne claims "Anybody who says that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, flunked geography." Nigel Slater says "It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you." Fellini says that "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." And Mark Twain adds "Eat what you like and let the food fight it out on the inside." But the most pertinent piece of wisdom for today is that "Everything tastes better crumbed". Comedian Dave O'Neill, has published a book under this title - one of his big statements about life. I'm not sure I agree entirely, although my children probably would. Lucky for them that Chicken Piccata was the first of this months' Barefoot Blogger recipes. (For newcomers to this site, the Barefoot Contessa has spawned a motley crew of Barefoot Bloggers who cook from the collected wisdom of Ina Garten a couple of times a month.)


I have made this recipe before (here) but last time I subbed in veal for chicken. We also had a similar Barefoot Blogger recipe in September when we made Parmesan Chicken. This time I made it just as Ina instructed, although I cooked some thigh fillets as well as the breast fillets (husband regards chicken breasts as the work of the devil). If I had to compare the recipes, I think I would pick the Parmesan chicken - the extra flavour from the cheese really lifts it, although I really liked the lemon sauce from the piccata - maybe the solution is to marry the two?? If you are planning to make this, try pounding the fillets from the middle out, to make for less raggedy edges. And just in case you are left with some, the leftovers make great sandwiches. I served the chicken with some steamed asparagus - which also went very well with the lemon sauce. Thanks to Lindsay of Noodle Nights and Muffin Mornings for her choice.


Chicken Piccata from the Barefoot Contessa at Home by Ina Garten
2 chicken breasts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 extra-large egg
1/2 tablespoon water
3/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
Good olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons), lemon halves reserved
1/2 cup dry white wine
Sliced lemon, for serving
Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving

Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound out to 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Mix the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a shallow plate. In a second plate, beat the egg and 1/2 tablespoon of water together. Place the bread crumbs on a third plate. Dip each chicken breast first in the flour, shake off the excess, and then dip in the egg and bread crumb mixtures.


Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place them on the sheet pan and allow them to bake for 5 to 10 minutes while you make the sauce.

For the sauce, wipe out the saute pan with a dry paper towel. Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and then add the lemon juice, wine, the reserved lemon halves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Boil over high heat until reduced in half, about 2 minutes. Off the heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and swirl to combine. Discard the lemon halves and serve 1 chicken breast on each plate. Spoon on the sauce and serve with a slice of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.

20 comments:

Linds said...

Thanks for participaing this round and for your tip about pounding out the chicken. Your piccata looks great!

Heather S-G said...

Happy to be a part of BB! Yours look great :)

Cathy said...

I think you are right, Suzie, this would be GREAT with Ina's parmesan chicken. I thought this was a simple and delicious recipe. Your picture is great! And I love the assortment of food quotes!

spike. said...

Everything DOES taste better crumbed!

Anonymous said...

I joined right after the Parmesan Chicken and I wish I'd just make it sometime. Yours looks great!

~Delta Whiskey (Cat)

Peggy said...

what beautiful photos! We loved this. Yours looks really delicious. Even though it was "breaded" it didn't taste heavily breaded to me!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Your picatta looks wonderful. I think the quote is almost right--most things are better crumbed.

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Your picatta with the asparagus looks wonderful! I love the quotes, especially the Fellini one. I had never heard that before but it sure did make me smile :)

Leslie said...

Boy, does yours look yummy! I wish I had thought to do asparagus with mine! It would be great with the lemony flavor of the sauce.

Kirsten said...

Your chicken looks good, love the photo.

Anonymous said...

your photo looks so refreshing! i enjoyed this recipe for the most part.

Anonymous said...

Great photo! I love your addition of asparagus, I'll bet it tasted great with lemon!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with the crumb statement! This chicken was really good, I'm sure I would like it with parmesan, too.

Matt's Kitchen said...

I agree with your opinion of the sauce. I know some people disliked it because of its lemony-ness, but I loved it for that very reason. I also love your selection of quotes, especially the one from Nigel Slater. It really is impossible not to love someone who makes something for you be it toast or soup or, in this case, chicken piccata.

Aggie said...

Your chicken looks fantastic! I am going to have to try that Parmesan Chicken, I wasn't in the group at that time...but saw it around!

I bet these would be great as a sandwich, great idea!

Queen B. said...

LOOKS FABBY !! :) yUMNNA LUMMA

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The chicken was so tender in this dish wasn't it. An excellent choice:D

Patty said...

You are so funny!!!

Meryl said...

So true! I'm not even a very big fan of chicken, but, add a little breading and I'm sold!

Summer said...

looks great. I agree with your husband, chicken is not my favorite thing, but this was yummy.