Saturday, February 13, 2010

Year of the Tiger Cupcakes

As well as Valentine's Day, tomorrow is Chinese New Year and the start of the Year of the Tiger. Don't you think that calls for some tiger cupcakes for the kids? I know I get carried away, but I am so excited by them - don't you love the picture!

The tiger faces are fondant, apart from the M&M eyes, with a chocolate cupcake and chocolate buttercream icing underneath. I can't wait for the reaction tomorrow. To all my readers, hope the Year of The Tiger gives you Luck, Prosperity and Longevity.




Classic Chocolate Buttercream Cupcakes
from 500 Cupcakes by Fergal Connelly
225g unslated butter, softened
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbls cocoa powder
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
Icing
100g chopped plain chocolate
2 tbsp double cream
50g unsalted butter, softened
100g icing sugar, sieved

Heat oven to 175C. Place 12 large cupcake papers into a muffin tin. Combine all ingredients in an electric mixer and beat with the whisk attachment for 2-3 minutes. Spoon the batter into cases. Bake for 20 mins. Cool in the tins for 5 mins then remove to a rack to cool completely.

For the icing, combine chocolate cream and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir gently until combined. Remove from heat and add icing sugar, stirring until the icing is smooth. Spread onto cupcakes.

6 comments:

Suelle said...

Really cute!

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Super cute!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Those are the cutest cupcakes ever and perfect for Chinese New Year! ;-)

Jane said...

I love all your baking posts as I'm a big fan of anything involving butter, sugar and eggs, but in the spirit of my new year's resolution to feed my family healthy food I am constantly in desperate need of inspiration for family meals - will be keeping my eyes on your blog for meals for the kids (that we can also enjoy!)..

jules said...

those are the cutest cupcakes I've seen in ages suzie. brilliant idea

hope your year of the tiger is also wonderful

Spencer @ Moo-Lolly-BAr said...

Looks like a fantastic recipe. I would love to take a bit bite out of those cupcakes.